Monday, June 23, 2008

Candy Girl by Diablo Cody


I'm 104% sure that Juno is the best movie I've seen in a long, long time. I loved that the characters talked and acted and looked like real teenagers, and that the humor in the movie was true and notthe product of outlandish,  ridiculous situations. Not that I don't appreciate absurdity at the right times, but Juno could achieve the right tone - whether it was comedy or drama - by sticking to reality.

Most of the awesomeness of the film has to come from Diablo Cody's script (for which she won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay). I heard she had also written a book a few years ago, Candy Girl, about the time she spent being a stripper in Minnesota. I got this one at the library, too, and read it very quickly.

Cody's style in the book is very similar to what you can see and hear in Juno, especially the vocabulary. It starts off a little oppressive, a little bit pretentious, but the farther you read all the funky word combos aren't so noticeable. 

Seeing as how this is a book about stripping, there were definitely parts that get pretty graphic. But Cody writes with such matter-of-fact frankness that it doesn't cross the line into tasteless - at least for me. And this is coming from someone who skips over the too-sexy parts in romance novels. 




No comments: